Jeffrey Altman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Quoting from Peter Gutmann's paper when he describes the use of the ToolHelp
>library:
>
>  "Since even a moderately loaded system can contain over 500 heap
>  objects and 50 modules, we need to limit the duration of the poll
>  to a second or two, which is enough to get information on several
>  hundred objects without halting the calling program for an
>  unacceptable amount of time ..."

Note that that's for Win16 on a 386/486, where the poll really will freeze the
system.  For Win95 et al this isn't an issue, both because it won't stop every
other process and because systems running '95 have to be a little bit faster
than a '386.

>BTW, the reference to Mr. Gutmann's paper in the code should be updated.  The
>list reference no longer exists.  This reference looks like it may stay around
>for a while:
>
>http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec98/gutmann.html

The paper will always be available via my home page,
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001, which isn't going away any time soon,
you can also get an much expanded and updated version from there which is newer
than the Usenix paper.

BTW (as a comment on a later thread) you could save yourselves a lot of effort
by just pulling the necessary code out of cryptlib (it's available under the
GPL, BSD license, or whatever else you want), since there are a number of
further bugs in Windows which you haven't run into yet but probably will in the
future (look for the long text block comments in rndwin32.c :-).

Peter.