From: Lutz Jaenicke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Lutz.Jaenicke> I have not looked into the engine code. It should
Lutz.Jaenicke> however be possible to perform some string processing
Lutz.Jaenicke> inside OpenSSL to generate the complete pathname.

That's something I've thought of, but not in the way you did...

Lutz.Jaenicke> Say, you check an environment variable "ENGINE_PATH"
Lutz.Jaenicke> and build $ENGINE_PATH/name_of_engine when calling
Lutz.Jaenicke> shl_load()

Please tell me how $ENGINE_PATH is more secure than $SHLIB_PATH?

Lutz.Jaenicke> and/or the application calls some engine_setup(shared_lib_path)
Lutz.Jaenicke> and this shared_lib_path is then used when constructing
Lutz.Jaenicke> the complete path name to the shared library...

The way I was looking at it was that the only secure way would be to
have an internal database in each engine, saying in what directories
the shared library is usually installed, and simply avoid having
options.  That's the non-flexible way of handling it, I'm afraid, but
the secure way.

I get a bit depressed by this total lack of security when loading
shared libraries, don't you?

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chairman@Stacken   \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.