%% Rich Salz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  >> That's not the issue - the issue is that if you declare something const
  >> the compiler can assume it doesn't change over the function call. If it
  >> does, then things can break.

  rs> No, because "noalias" was removed from the standard.

  rs> You're correct if I declare an object to be const, but the compiler
  rs> cannot make any assumptions about "const TYPE *" because there may be
  rs> multiple pointers.

This restriction (or, lack of ability to assume) only takes effect
when stepping across function calls, doesn't it?

Or, do we have to worry about signal()?