Frank Balluffi wrote:

> I can imagine a scenario whereby an organization might choose to sign a
> death notice before going out of  business. For example, suppose a
> commercial CA decided to go out of business, there might be benefits to
> their signing a CRL including their root certificate.

The question is:

Has the CA issued certs and are they valid at the point of the
revokation
of the CA cert ?

Who maintains these certs ?

At least in Germany a public CA that goes out of bussines has to
find another CA that maintains the valid issued certificates.
And this new CA has a CRL, where it can publish the revokation
of the old root cert of the old CA.

By

Goetz

--
Goetz Babin-Ebell, TC TrustCenter GmbH, http://www.trustcenter.de
Sonninstr. 24-28, 20097 Hamburg, Germany