We ran into a small piece of code in ssl_rsa.c that is confusing us. In SSL_CTX_use_certificate_chain_file(), the following code fragment exists:

ret=SSL_CTX_use_certificate(ctx,x);
if (ERR_peek_error() != 0)
    ret = 0;  /* Key/certificate mismatch doesn't imply ret==0 ... */
if (ret)

Isn't this a little strange to ignore the return code of the function called and instead peek at the error stack? There is certainly no guarantee that any errors on the stack are from the call to use_certificate and even so, why check the stack rather than the return code.

This looks like a hack to me. Is there a specific reason it is needed?

Thanks for any help.

Verdon Walker
(801) 861-2633
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Novell Inc., the leading provider of Net Services Software
www.novell.com