On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 05:06:35PM +0200, Henri van Riel wrote:
> I am trying to compile fetchmail-5.9.12 with ssl support but something
> strange is happening. Compilation goes ok but when it's all done I do a
> 'ldd ./fetchmail' and it turns out the libraries are dynamically linked to
> the fetchmail binary but with the full filename. The output of ldd says:
>
>   libcrypto.so.0.9.6 => /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.6
>
> I would expect something like this:
>
>   libcrypto.so.0 => /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.0
>
> It's the same with libssl (ofcourse). I would expect the linker to use
> the symlinks pointing to the 'real' files but somehow it doesn't.
>
> Yes, the symlinks are there, 'make install' created them. I've build the
> libraries with './config shared threads; make'.

I don't see the problem. OpenSSL's naming scheme does not fit that of typical
Linux shared libraries. 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 will not be compatible, so that using
the full version number to distinguish the libraries is the correct way to
work with OpenSSL.

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/