Lutz Jaenicke:

>> I have already worked in the cipher selection routines yesterday with
>> respect to PR#130. I will add an appropriate "NOTDEFAULT" selection
>> keyword that will cover cipher suites not selected by default.
>> As this is a new feature I intend to only add it to 0.9.7 (and later).

> Technically spoken we have two things:
> * ALL: all ciphers _except_ eNULL (no encryption is left out)
> * DEFAULT: ALL ciphers, then ADH is removed, then some sorting
> We would therefore have two classes of non-selected ciphers:
> * NODEFAULT: meaning effectively ADH in the moment
> * NOALL: meaning effectively eNULL in the moment
>
> Of course, this distinction is not necessarily clear unless you look
> up the realization of DEFAULT and ALL.
> Should I realize both classes? Actually it would make sense from the
> logical point of view and in the documentation I would propose to use
> something like "RSA:NODEFAULT:NOALL" to unselect the unwanted ciphers.
> I propose NOALL instead of NONE in order to reflect its logic
> interaction with the ALL keyword.

The "NO" prefix in "NODEFAULT" and "NOALL" could be misleading.
(Of course, "NONE" isn't any better.)

"COMPLEMENT_OF_ALL" and "COMPLEMENT_OF_DEFAULT" is clearer.  It is
also longer, but it may be worth it.

I don't particularly like the "RSA:NODEFAULT:NOALL" example because
the "NO..." or "COMPLEMENT_OF_..." group aliases are not really useful
for *enabling* ciphersuites (it can be done, but this is quite
pointless).  Their real purpose is *disabling* ciphersuites:
"RSA:!COMPLEMENT_OF_ALL" or "RC4:!COMPLEMENT_OF_DEFAULT" will enable
all RSA ciphersuites with the exception of the eNULL ciphersuites, and
"RC4:!COMPLEMENT_OF_DEFAULT" will enable all non-anonymous RC4
ciphersuites.

--
Bodo Möller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
PGP http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/moeller/0x36d2c658.html