My first thought was the same.  Which brought up
another interesting question....the 32bit Pentium II
333 is still faster than the UltraSparc 400.

I am running Solaris 9 in 64bit mode and used the
default for the latest Openssl96g.  I get 2,700,000
Des calculations per minute on the Pentium and
2,400,00 on the UltraSparc with 32bit mode libraries.
I have just compiled the libraries using Solaris64-gcc
and compiled my program using -m64 and receive
1,700,000 calculations per second.  Hmm, is it just me
or is something wrong with that math..heh...

James
--- Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker