On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 03:39:03PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:

> So how did the buffer get to be too small?

Well, in one of the cases it was improper protocol data checking
(fixed in 0.9.6f).  The others should really be impossible, but if
they ever become possible, this most likely is because of changes to
OpenSSL that are done without thinking of all the ramifications
(e.g. new ciphersuites that require larger buffers for certain
purposes).

>                                            I propose we have a compile
> time flag that determines whether impossible conditions are fatal or
> return errors,

Go ahead, compile time flags are how we usually handle such things in
OpenSSL -- e.g. you can define BN_DEBUG to enable certain assertions
that detect situations where memory is really corrupted.

--
Bodo Möller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
PGP http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/moeller/0x36d2c658.html