Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
[...]
Do I get it correctly, that this would be a MuscleCard-specific
implementation of a PKCS#11 engine?  We already have three other
PKCS#11 engine contribution in our pipe, unfortunately specific to the
hardware the authors were playing with instead of being a generic
PKCS#11 one.  I've refused to insert them all in OpenSSL for the
specific reason that they're branded as "generic PKCS#11".
Well, I am not sure about the PKCS#11 because I have not worked on it
yet. I guess that if you code an engin that uses a PKCS#11 interface
any PKCS#11 library you link (or dinamically load) will work with that
ENGINE implementation.

Another possibility would be to implement the ENGINE directly on top
of the MuscleCard API and then you could code a PKCS#11 module using
OpenSSL call with generic engine support.

If you make something specifically for MuscleCard and that's branded
as such but happens to use PKCS#11 calls underneith, I've no
problems...
It is a choice... I really don't know what's best... the first approach
will have the ENGINE to be dependant on the existance of a PKCS#11
external library, the second approach will require an OpenSSL's specific
PKCS#11 writing, I guess.

--

C'you,

	Massimiliano Pala

Massimiliano Pala [OpenCA Project Manager]                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.openca.org                            Tel.:   +39 (0)59  270  094
http://openca.sourceforge.net                    Mobile: +39 (0)347 7222 365