> appro> Richard, you win but for another reason:-) WorkShop C (as well as other
> appro> vendor compiler drivers) does understand -Wl, *but* some of thier
> appro> (Sun's) compiler drivers (well, one of those I have) collect all -Wl
> appro> options in the beginning of ld command line so that ld is invoked as "ld
> appro> -z allextract -z defaultextract ... libcrypto.a ...", while idea is
> appro> basically "ld ... -z allextract libcrypto.a -z defaultextract ..." Why,
> appro> oh why? A.
>
> Eh god...  So basically, we not only need to detect if GNU ld is used,
> but that it's really GNU cc as well?

Alternative could be to run /usr/ccs/bin/ld directly, but then we would
have to cope with multiple ABI supported by kernel ourselves and we
don't want that. I think...

> What happens if the compiler
> isn't GNU but ld is?

Can't happen. Vendor compiler driver does not take any chances but
invokes linker by explicit path, /usr/ccs/bin/ld to specific. Well, the
only exclusion from this rule is when it wants/is instructed to perform
incremental linking in which case it calls /opt/SUNWspro/*/bin/ild,
where * stands for a version abbreviation, e.g. WS6 stands for WorkShop
6. A.