> 1. File (socket) handles are ints. Why not create a special type called
> file_handle_t, that changes sizes with platforms that have different
> requirements of file handle types (read windows)?

Just a side note. As already pointed out in another context, it's
actually *safe* to cast SOCKET to int and vice versa on Win64. Even
though handles appear as "void *", handles to kernel objects in
particular, such as SOCKET, are not actually pointers, but *indexes* in
a per-process table which is not accessible from user-land. Once again!
It's a side note! I mean I'm not suggesting to leave it as it is and the
issue *shall* be addressed. All I'm saying that it's actually *possible*
to deploy OpenSSL as it is.

> 2. Anywhere we are using int for a buffer size, we should be using
> size_t. It's just that simple. This is plainly a deficiency in openssl
> source,

Yes, and the point I'm trying to make is that it's not a Win64 specific
issue and my suggestion is basically to stop treating it as one. The
only reason it popped up in Win64 context is that Microsoft has crafted
their compiler with jealous lint capabilities.

A.