Actually, SRTP was the first time I saw CTR mode and I believe it predates
NIST (i could be waaaay wrong there).

In SRTP, the counter is only 16 bits but that doesn't limit them to only
encrypting 64K blocks of data, it only limits them to 64K blocks *in one
rtp(udp) packet*. Obviously this isn't a limit as a udp packet cannot get
that big. The "nouce" part is modified for each packet (based on info in the
rtp header), so you can see there is no issue with counter overflow.

What I was trying (unsuccessfully) to make a point about. Please don't code
up your CTR mode to *just* do the NIST or Ipsec version of CTR mode. Please
code a general CTR mode that can accommodate all the versions (including
SRTP). I believe this is quite easy to do and does not require any special
handling. That way, I can use your routines rather than my own, EVP-based,
routines that kinda hack EVP under the covers and are probably going to be
broken when I upgrade OSSL. :)

(the other thing to remember is that CTR can be used with any block cipher,
it's not limited to AES)

regards,

-lee