Stephen Sprunk wrote:

I'm a bit more ambitious...  We should specify NIST-style CTR mode for all
octet stream applications within the IETF's domain, with SSL/TLS as an
example.  For record-based systems, I don't know if NIST-style or
IPsec-style would be more appropriate :-(

There is no such thing as NIST-style. There's Helger Lipmaa's suggestion, and that's really it. A 64-bit counter offers the misleading sense that it is safe to use more than 2^32 blocks of keystream.

CTR mode offers very little advantage over CBC or CFB or OFB -- the
motivation for IPsec was very high speed, parallel encryption with
precomputation of the keystream (according to the Rt. Hon. Rev.
Bellovin, IETF Security Area co-chair).

Can someone explain why the IPsec folks felt they needed to reimplement CTR
mode, especially in a way which appears to create more problems?

Yes. SSL/TLS have the advantage of operating over TCP -- where replay, delayed duplicates, out-of-order delivery, fragmentation, etc. are all handled magically and elsewhere. IPsec operates via a connectionless medium with no delivery guarantees (IP).

Obviously we don't need nonces, just counters.