Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:

There's possibly a problem in that it would change the meaning of the '+'
character which might break existing use of -subj or even permit some
malicious use. So I'd suggest that any new behaviour should only be enabled
with a command line swicth.

Ok, taken. I created a patch and will put it into the request tracker. It uses a new option -multivalue-rdn to activate the new code.

another problem is the output like you mentioned. -nameopt oneline works but -nameopt rfc2253 fails. rfc2253 escapes a blank but perhaps I send the blank to OpenSSL by myself - so no real problem. This is not wrong but it is senseless.

oneline
-------
C = DE, O = Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, OU = Internet, serialNumber = 123456 + CN = "ABC XYZ ", serialNumber = 30

rfc2253
-------
serialNumber=30,CN=ABC XYZ \ +serialNumber=123456,OU=Internet,O=Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin,C=DE

Thanks for your help

Michael
Michael Bell                   Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ZE Computer- und Medienservice            Tel.: +49 (0)30-2093 2482
(Computing Centre)                        Fax:  +49 (0)30-2093 2704
Humboldt-University of Berlin
Unter den Linden 6
10099 Berlin                   Email (private): [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Germany                                       http://www.openca.org