In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:19:03 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
said:

kjfw> I posted over a month ago about an "Unexpected Signal: 11" in
kjfw> MD5_Init.  The same error has happened again, but this time I
kjfw> have a bit more information:  MD5_Init was called with a null
kjfw> pointer (c == 0), hence the seg fault.  However, no calls to
kjfw> CRYPTO_malloc (or similar functions including OPENSSL_malloc
kjfw> functions) failed, so this is not an out-of-memory problem.
kjfw> Thus, given that we're using OpenSSL in non-blocking mode in a
kjfw> multi-threaded environment and the extremely infrequent nature
kjfw> of this bug, my best guess is that this is some very obscure
kjfw> timing issue whereby MD5_Init is being called before the
kjfw> relevant data structures have been fulling initialized.
kjfw>
kjfw> So does anybody have any idea how this might happen?  Any
kjfw> suggestions on how I might further track the problem down?  I'm
kjfw> planning on adding some printfs to EVP_DigestInit_ex to print
kjfw> some additional contextual info if ctx->digest->init is called
kjfw> with ctx->md_data == null.

So, the context that's passed to EVP_DigestInit_ex(), is it reused?
Have you cleaned up properly?

You see, the only reason I can see for MD5_init to be called with
c == 0 is if ctx->digest (in EVP_DigestInit_ex()) is the same as
type.

kjfw> Again, we've only seen this problem on our production stack:
kjfw>
kjfw> OpenSSL 0.9.7b 10 Apr 2003

And what other versions have you tested with in similar environments?
The answer to that might give us clues to what exactly happens...

-----
You don't have to be rich, a $10 donation is appreciated!

--
Richard Levitte   \ Tunnlandsvägen 3  \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  \ S-168 36  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.