Hi there,

On March 29, 2004 04:26 am, Jelte Jansen wrote:
[snip]
> Because I don't like to come empty-handed I took the liberty of
> supplying a patch with a possible extension: rsa_gen.c gets another
> function:
>
> RSA *   RSA_generate_key_bignum_exponent(int bits, BIGNUM *e,void
>                 (*callback)(int,int,void *),void *cb_arg);
[snip]
> Might it be worthy of inclusion (or something else with the same
> expansion) in a future release of openssl?

I took a quick look but one immediate problem springs to mind, it's a
patch against 0.9.7[d]. This kind of change is not going to be possible
for stable release branches, so you'd need to look at the head of CVS (or
download a recent nightly snapshot from the website). For one thing, I
moved the key-generation functionality into the RSA_METHOD since 0.9.7
was branched off, so if you want to migrate the public exponent parameter
from word->BIGNUM, you'd need to change it up at that level and work
backwards from there. Note, if you do this, don't worry about adding a
second handler to RSA_METHOD, just modify the one that's there (it hasn't
been released yet so compatibility isn't an issue). You would still need
to leave the API as it is though, so adding another API function remains
necessary (deprecating the old one would make sense, but I can worry
about this afterwards if you want).

Otherwise, the idea seems logical enough to me. If you want to update the
patch, please submit it to the request-tracker and assign it to me if you
like.

Cheers,
Geoff

--