Can anyone answer this? How do I tell if this is a known problem with OpenSSL or if
the RFC is incorrect, or if this is just a accepted deviation?

  Erik Tkal
  Principal Software Engineer
  Funk Software, Inc.
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 978-371-3980x123

  "Out the Token Ring, through the router, down the fiber, off
   a switch, past the firewall, down the T1 ... nothing but Net."

-----------------------

A customer performing interoperability testing sent me a message and indicated that
our TLS server was sending a CertificateRequest message with a CAs length of 0,
followed by no additional data. This appears to be in violation of section 7.4.4 of
RFC 2246, which implies that the certificate_authorities must be at least 3 bytes.

       struct {
           ClientCertificateType certificate_types<1..2^8-1>;
           DistinguishedName certificate_authorities<3..2^16-1>;
       } CertificateRequest;

Is this a bug, and if so, what is the correct way to indicate that you do not wish to
hint to the client what CAs to use in selecting a certificate?

BTW, I tried changing the server code to send a 2-byte CAs length of 3, followed by a
2-byte CA1 length of 1, followed by a null byte, but the client didn't like that at
all.

  Erik Tkal