In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:18:35 +0200 (METDST), "Andreas
M. Kirchwitz via RT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

Hi,

I just found an email discussion that seems to cover what's happening
to you:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-glibc/2000-01/msg00046.html

rt> On Solaris, LD_LIBRARY_PATH seems to be searched _before_ any library
rt> pathes compiled into the binary. That's the usual way (as I know it).

It seems like this wouldn't be the correct according to some specs,
according to the email conversation I'm pointing at.

rt> On Linux (or at least Fedora), LD_LIBRARY_PATH is searched _after_
rt> any library pathes compiled into the binary. If I remove /usr/local/ssl,
rt> then "env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.7e ldd test/evp_test"
rt> finds "/usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.7e/libcrypto.so.0.9.7".
rt>
rt> That's strange.

Yup, I've been bitten by the same for another project just recently,
but didn't bother with it at the time.

The question I have to you is if you have LD_RUN_PATH set in some way,
or if you did something that sets -rpath when linking the libraries
and applications.  As I understand it, directories given with -rpath
can't (and shouldn't, which makes sense) be overriden with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

rt> Maybe the use of LD_PRELOAD is worth a thought to be put into the
rt> OpenSSL test procedures (make test).

I'm thinking you're right.

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis