Hi Steve, Richard,

OK, the file is attached. The file modified was from
openssl-0.9.8-beta6\apps\smime.c

It is just a simple hack to make it do a double pass over the file to do both
operations in the one call - sorry but I used a "goto" :-).

My user likes it much better this way because they have to call "smime ..." (or
"openssl smime ...") from their application and the double call (for sign then
encrypt) is high overhead. They always do both sign/encrypt and decrypt/verify.
All existing functionality is unchanged.

I have tested it for both sign/encrypt and decrypt/verify and it works OK for
me.

Regards,

Simon McMahon.

Simon McMahon

Work: (07) 31311420
Mobile: (043) 2294180

>>> "Dr. Stephen Henson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 06/23/05 11:05am >>>
On Thu, Jun 23, 2005, Simon McMahon wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> OpenSSL is a busy forum so I just thought I would get some directions before
> posting to the list(s).
>

> I have been using OpenSSL's SMIME support and I have added a usability
> feature for my "user" that I would like to submit for the general
> distribution.
>
> Is there a process for this?
>
> In a nutshell the change is to allow "OpenSSL smime ..." to do sign/encrypt
> or decrypt/verify in a single call rather than in 2 calls. It's pretty basic
> stuff but it has high impact on performance where an application is making
> callouts (lots of them) to openssl.exe from another program.
>
> I modified 9.7g - file /apps/smime.c is the only one effected (about 20 lines
> of code).

Well the best way would be to subit this patch to RT then it wont get lost :-)

Its better if additional features patch against the latest development
version, in this case 0.9.9-dev though that's currently identical to
0.9.8-stable.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.