AP> As support for platforms "narrower" than 32-bit is discontinued...
Do I face the prospect of not being able to update at all (past some
0.9.9)?!

Once again, platforms *narrower* than 32-bits are discontinued, in other
words 16-bit one[s]. Is your platform 16-bit? I find it hard to believe:-)

What's so hard to believe about a 16 bit embedded system (or even an 8 bit embedded system) that may need some kind of secure network access?

I don't find it hard to believe that there're 16-bit (or even 8-bit) systems out there. I find it hard to believe that the originator managed to get OpenSSL 0.9.8 working on a 16-bit system, even without SHA-512 support. A.