On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 12:30 +0200, ext via RT wrote:
> I am working with the patch and I noticed that the psk hint and id are
> asciiz.  This is not in the spec.
> Also, there is no way to specify no psk_id_hint/psk_id.  According to
> the spec, the pure psk suites can omit the key exchange.  There is no
> way to do this right now, and this is precisely  how I intend to work.

Using NULL-terminated strings was just a design choice; it is highly
unlikely that anyone would use PSK identities or hints containing NULLs,
so this simplifies the API (a lot less length fields to pass around in
various places; this also means less opportunities for bugs when someone
gets the lengths wrong...).

Omitting the PSK identity (or ClientKeyExchange message) is not allowed
by the spec (but sending zero-length identity is). The PSK hint (and in
certain cases, the whole ServerKeyExchange message) can be omitted by
setting the hint to NULL.

Also see the manual pages for the functions
SSL_CTX_use_psk_identity_hint and SSL_use_psk_identity_hint, and then
the modified test programs how the functions are used.