Michael Sierchio wrote:

Steven Reddie wrote:

Hi Michael,

I'm familiar with that approach, having used it many times myself.  The
choice of poll over select isn't important since they're basically the same; in fact, poll is sometimes implemented with select.

Who implements poll with select should suffer a fate worse than
death -- waking up a thousand sleeping threads to see if one
has some i/o ready is what poll was designed to avoid.

I think you're confusing a file I/O notification with mutual exclusion
and condition variables paradigm, another kind of IPC. The following
page provides necessary background information:

        http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html

Besides, some select() implementations are actually poll()-based.

--
Lev Walkin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]