On Dec  2 00:45, Steven Reddie wrote:
> That's an interesting blog article.  The 2nd comment is by the author and
> lists the entropy sources.  I recall there was discussion on this list quite
> some time ago where it was stated that OpenSSL wouldn't use only the
> CryptoAPI random number generator since Microsoft hadn't provided details of
> how the entropy was gathered.  Perhaps the information in that post provides
> enough detail to warrant dropping all of the heap walking guff that has been
> known to trip up OpenSSL on occasion.
>
> Adria, RAND_poll already calls CryptGenRandom doesn't it?  You could
> probably just comment out all of the other code to get the same result.

I'm wondering about this anyway.  While the exact code of CryptGenRandom
isn't open source, MSDN has a quite extensive description how the random
numbers are generated by CryptGenRandom, see the Remarks section in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/seccrypto/security/cryptgenrandom.asp
which also talks about the entropy sources used.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Project Co-Leader