From: "Allan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <openssl-dev@openssl.org>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 6:00 PM
Subject: Question about ssl3_shutdown

Hi, I have a question about ssl3_shutdown in s3_lib.c.  We are getting
an occasional processor fault on the line that reads:

    else if (s->s3->alert_dispatch)

where s is a valid pointer but s3 is NULL.  I would like to just
prevent the processor fault but leave things in a consistent state so
that further connections will work, etc.  It looks to me like I can
just change the very first executable line of the procedure to read:

  /* Don't do anything much if we have not done the handshake or
   * we don't want to send messages :-) */
  if ((s->quiet_shutdown) || (s->state == SSL_ST_BEFORE) || (s->s3 == NULL))
    {
    s->shutdown=(SSL_SENT_SHUTDOWN|SSL_RECEIVED_SHUTDOWN);
    return(1);
    }

(in other words, add the check "s->s3 == NULL" to the case for "not
doing anything much").  Does that look right?

Thanks,

Allan Miller