> > So HT flag is no longer HyperThreading, but something else...
> > Will look into
> > it... There is another place HTT flag is checked and it's AES...

> yeah HT flag now basically means "multi-threading or multi-core
> package"... because when amd/intel went dual core they didn't want silly
> license managers to charge for every core.

I was under the impression that the HT flag meant that the CPU supported the
HT probe commands, which includes ways to determine if the CPU actually
supports hyper-threading, has multiple cores, and so on.

>From the horse's mouth:

"Note that support for Hyper-Threading technology on the processor does not
necessarily mean that the processor supports more than one logical
processor, that the BIOS has enabled the feature, or that the operating
system is utilizing the extra logical processors. Note that additional steps
are required to determine the number of logical processors supported by the
physical processor, as well as querying the operating system to determine
the logical-to-physical processor mapping."

Basically, the HT bit set in the CPUID means you can proceed to the next
step. If it's clear, then there is no HT or mult-core. (At least, not the
Intel variety.)

DS