Goetz Babin-Ebell wrote:
> Lutz Jaenicke wrote:
> > Goetz Babin-Ebell wrote:
> [...]
> >> * in SMTP doing a STARTTLS without previous EHLO
> >>   will return a
> >>   503 STARTTLS command used when not advertised
> >> * in IMAP doing a STARTLS requires a
> >>   . CAPABILITY
> >>   first.
> >>
> >> In both cases the server response should be parsed for
> >> the string "STARTTLS"...
> >>
> > This statement is technically correct. As the s_client tool is however
> > intended for testing purposes only (you remember that a capital
> > "R" at the beginning of the line will start a renegotiation instead
> > of being transferred to the server :-) adding the EHLO and .CAPABILITY
> > should be sufficient and the more complex parsing of the response
> > might be omitted...
>
> Do you want something like the attached patch ?
> (untested, I'm off to bed...)
Ok, I have reworked this section as discussed by using a buffering BIO and
have committed everything to CVS. I would be most pleased if somebody would
also cross-test it (the part with the multi-line IMAP response may require
some more digging as the termination should be the "." at the beginning
of the response line, not the number of chars being less than 3!?)

Best regards,
    Lutz