The problem is that he's trying to make a shared library linked to a
static library, and the static library isn't built with -fPIC.

No. The way I read it, his static library is build with -fPIC. The user surely wants to include copy of OpenSSL code into own .so. I mean as alternative to having own .so linked with libcrypto.so he wants own .so with OpenSSL in it. x86_64cpuid.o does have R_X86_64_PC32 relocation even in shared build, which *can* be resolved in shared context, *if* you use -Bsymbolic. A.