I found this problem originally when trying to use OpenSSH linked
against the new OpenSSL.  I get the following error:

$ ssh -V
OpenSSL version mismatch. Built against 90805f, you have 908070

openssh-4.7p1/entropy.c has the following code:

        /*

         * OpenSSL version numbers: MNNFFPPS: major minor fix patch status

         * We match major, minor, fix and status (not patch)

         */
        if ((SSLeay() ^ OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER) & ~0xff0L)
                fatal("OpenSSL version mismatch. Built against %lx, you "
                    "have %lx", OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER, SSLeay());

So OpenSSH stops working if you switch from a release build of OpenSSL
to a development build.

--
Matt