Paul Sheer wrote:
Well my hybrid threaded app now seems to be stable - even under extreme loads.

2. Use my own RAND object (RAND_set_rand_method) so that OpenSSL does
                 not try lock static globals.

How are you sure of this ? Did you manually remove the object code from the library, or place an abort(); call at the points -DPURIFY is listed to you can be sure that execution never gets there.

         6. Build OpenSSL with no-threads and -DOPENSSL_NO_LOCKING
Am I doing anything completely insane here?

If you are rebuilding OpenSSL why don't you throw in -DPURIFY and piece by piece undo each point you listed until the problem comes back. That would be far more useful to the mailing-list than all this other information.

If I read things correctly, "You have a hybrid threaded app" but OpenSSL does not have any threading support. Maybe this is okay since all the things you disabled might end up causing no thread sensitive code path to execute. To "no-threads" option is intended for a single threaded execution environment.

Darryl