Another possibility, if you absolutely must go through OpenSSL, is to set
up the OpenSSL side as some type of server and use some sort of
client/server model.  This isn't entirely brain-dead -- I've been looking
at that as a way to put an airgap between the bulk of code that handles
code and the small piece that actually signs certificates.

If you just want to do crypto, a lot of people like
http://bouncycastle.org/.  It can create and sign certificates, etc.

Bear