I forgot to mention something;

> > Actually on my system, just -DPURIFY doesn't satisfy valgrind.  What
> > I'm asking for is something that both satisfies valgrind and doesn't
> > reduce the keyspace.
>
> If you're using an up-to-date version of openssl when you see this (ie. a
> recent CVS snapshot from our website, even if it's from a stable branch for
> compatibility reasons), then please post details. -DPURIFY exists to
> facilitate debuggers that don't like reading uninitialised data, so if
> that's not the case then please provide details. Note however that there
> are a variety of gotchas that allow you to create little leaks if you're
> not careful, and valgrind could well be complaining about those instead.

Note that you should always build with "no-asm" if you're doing this kind of
debug analysis. The assembly optimisations are likely to operate at
granularities and in ways that valgrind could easily complain about. I don't
know that this is the case, but it would certainly make sense to compare
before posting a bug report.

Cheers,
Geoff