Debian &c suffered from simply removing all calls to seed the random
number generator with enough entropy to make it secure.

When it comes to entropy, every little bit helps.  The calls to add
uninitialized static variable locations are never relied upon to seed
the PRNG with enough entropy, but they are used to "stir the pot" just
a little bit more.

This is probably one of the most-frequently asked questions.
http://openssl.org/support/faq.html#PROG14  (I think the 'answer' for
that needs to be changed to include some of the prior discussion on
the topic...)

This is probably also one of the most-frequently answered questions.
Look in the openssl-users and openssl-dev archives for the past year
and you'll see people with much more knowledge of entropy than me
discussing this topic, at length.

-Kyle H