Section 5.3.1, I'd probably mention that you can pass 'fipsld' as the
CC env for configure scripts as well, since many projects use
autoconf/automake.

I'm not sure that CC is the appropriate place for fipsld.  Maybe LD,
but CC has other uses.

Well, that's an arguable point (not that I'm looking for an argument/
flame war) considering most linking processes are processed through
the compiler, which then calls ld, rather than calling ld directly.
Also, the 'fipsld' script does infact compile fips_premain.c, so it's
not simply linking, if you want to get technical about it.

The 'fipsld' script is designed to pass-thru non-linking operations,
and will only 'touch' a linking request if it is referencing libcrypto.
It appears to have been designed as a CC wrapper, and the current
UserGuide does explain what it does fairly well. I see no need in
rewriting the section of the doc, or altering the way fipsld works,
I'm only suggesting adding a small reference in the doc for projects
which use autoconf/automake.

-Brad