On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 03:45 +0800, Andy Polyakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > This patch adds support to Intel AES-NI instruction set for x86_64
> > platform.
>
> I apologize for delay.

That's all right.

> Promised to comment on submission in question.
> Well, after some consideration I reckoned that it would take longer to
> discuss it than to implement own version of assembler module. Having own
> code also makes it easier for me to maintain it:-) The module is
> available for preview at
> http://www.openssl.org/~appro/eng_aesni-x86_64.pl.txt. Major points are,
> all addressed in the new code:

Thank you very much for your work.

> - why full unroll?

Just because the unrolled code is not too long.

> - why 4x interleave when aesenc latency is [anticipated to be] 6?

Yes. It should be 6, I neglect this important information in white
paper.

> - why post-4x processing is done with non-interleaved routine, when
> interleaved can be used?

Yes. post-4x processing can be done in interleaved mode. That is faster.

> - why not encode all aes instructions with .byte?

Just want to encode all aes instructions after some review. Now I think
maybe we can define aes instructions as perl function and do encoding
via perl.

> - instruction scheduling in key setup can be [much] better;
>
> See code and comments in code for further details. I'd appreciate if you
> could review and cross-test the code. [Counter-]comments and suggestions
> are naturally welcomed. The code will be committed to repository as soon
> as remaining issues are resolved. Remaining are build issue (as you
> pointed out yourself) and actual tests on Win64. Note that I suggest to
> name module eng_aesni-x86_64.pl instead of _asm. This implies that
> eventually there will be 32-bit version too.

I will test your code on real machine. And at least you can test the
code with an emulator: SDE, which can be downloaded from following URL:

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Intel-Software-Development-Emulator-Download-44635.html

Both Linux and windows are supported.

BTW: you want me to prepare the patch or you prepare the patch yourself?

Best Regards,
Huang Ying