With the announcement of OpenSSL 1.0.0 on the way, may I attempt to get some attention on this issue for which:

 * a patch exists
* a test case exists (that exposes the problem, that verifies the fix doesn't break anything) * multiple users have shared their concern over the years (some publicly some privately) * which have be brought up and reported to openssl-dev a number of times requesting attention

I'm happy to answer questions and concerns on the issue, please tell the list publicly what more can be done on the issue.

My own feeling is that there does not seem to be any module ownership for the SSL directory and libssl.so amongst the developers; or that the current ownership doesn't have sufficient time to address community needs even when all the hard work has been already done for them.

If there is no module owner for SSL/libssl could one be appointed please so at least there is an official point of contact for this part of the library to address matters to.

The rest of OpenSSL has worked well with various committers happy to examine patches for modules they are confident in progressing.

My best openssl-dev posts to the issues have been:

http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-dev@openssl.org/msg24105.html [recently]

The patch:

http://marc.info/?t=115154004000001&r=1&w=2  [1st followup contains patch]

Darryl