  From:       "Tim Hudson via RT" <r...@openssl.org>

  Cc:         openssl-dev@openssl.org

  Date:       09/17/2009 06:08 PM

  Subject:    [openssl.org #2046] OpenSSL 1.0.0 beta 3 ASM fails on z/Linux
64-bit

  Sent by:    owner-openssl-...@openssl.org

> I kicked off some builds last night as I was curious as to the answer to
> the question - 0.9.8d fails in make test, 0.9.8k passes in make test.

The 1.0.0 beta 3 fails with the SHA1 asm code and in the AES asm code.
I haven't had a chance to look into this in any detail - just noting that
the
out-of-the-box build isn't working. ./config -no-asm works so the issues
are all
in the asm code.

0.9.8k passes make test, 0.9.8d fails make test in BN code.

./config
make
make test

tjh:~/work/openssl-1.0.0-beta3/test> gdb sha1test
GNU gdb 6.4
are
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "s390x-suse-linux"...ruUsing host libthread_db
library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/tjh/work/openssl-1.0.0-beta3/test/sha1test

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
sha1_block_data_order () at sha1-s390x.s:13
13              lg      %r0,16(%r15)
Current language:  auto; currently asm
(gdb)

Linux somewhere 2.6.16.21-0.8-default #1 SMP Mon Jul 3 18:25:39 UTC 2006
s390x
s390x s390x GNU/Linux

tjh:~/work/openssl-1.0.0-beta3> gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: s390x-suse-linux
Configured with: ../configure --enable-threads=posix --prefix=/usr
--with-local-prefix=/usr/local --infodir=/usr/share/info
--mandir=/usr/share/man
--libdir=/usr/lib64 --libexecdir=/usr/lib64
--enable-languages=c,c++,objc,fortran,java --enable-checking=release
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.1.0 --enable-ssp --disable-libssp

--enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-gtk-cairo --disable-libjava-multilib
--with-slibdir=/lib64 --with-system-zlib --enable-shared
--enable-__cxa_atexit
--enable-libstdcxx-allocator=new --without-system-libunwind
--with-tune=z9-109
--with-arch=z900 --with-long-double-128 --host=s390x-suse-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.0 (SUSE Linux)

tjh:~/work/openssl-1.0.0-beta3> cat /proc/cpuinfo
vendor_id       : IBM/S390
# processors    : 1
bogomips per cpu: 888.01
processor 0: version = FF,  identification = 0117C9,  machine = 2064

[attachment "PGP.sig" deleted by Peter Waltenberg/Australia/IBM]