On 6/14/2010 7:59 PM, Nicholas Maniscalco wrote:
> Is using OpenSSL built with the PURIFY flag considered "secure"?
> I ask because I came across this comment, in md_rand.c:
>
> #ifndef PURIFY /* purify complains */
>        /* DO NOT REMOVE THE FOLLOWING CALL TO MD_Update()! */
>        if (!MD_Update(&m,buf,j))
>            goto err;
>        /* We know that line may cause programs such as
>           purify and valgrind to complain about use of
>           uninitialized data.  */
> #endif

The last time someone went by such nonsense[1], they created an entirely
exploitable set of keys on all debian/ubuntu-derived distributions.  Good
luck with that, and please let us know what you are maintaining, so that
we might avoid such distributions and products.

[1] http://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1571