As a quick hack I added to root Makefile following lines:

======
debug: CFLAG+= -ggdb3 -O0 -DDEBUG
debug: all

======
just before

all: Makefile build_all openssl.pc libssl.pc libcrypto.pc

Then
# make clean
# make debug

After that NetBeans can walk through source using gdb.

Linux i368.

It consumes about 3G of disk space.
And it's a good idea to exclude "test" from
DIRS=   crypto ssl engines apps test tools
in Makefile if you do not need them, as it's require enormous time to build.

Scott Cherf
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 15:22:45 -0700

Hello -

I'm trying to compile with source level debugging enabled using the 1.0.0a
distribution and I'm not having any luck at all.  I would appreciate a clue if
there is one.
I'm unable to build a version that gives me source level debug
using gdb and I can't figure out why. Anyone?