Roumen Petrov wrote:
May be issue is to find working version of mingw make.
Another case is the shell . At least some make commands require unix
like shell either bash from msys or bash from cygwin.

Well I also did "set MAKE=mingw32-make" and the "perl Configure mingw ..." does do the correct thing; find and run the mingw32 version of make. However the Makefile supplied to it by the OpenSSL build system must be in the wrong format or something.

The MSVC2010 build works (from cmd.exe). This does not need a Unix like shell. I have already made the case that a working version of Perl is on the system, available from ActiveState and running from cmd.exe.

Part of the confusion over what is MinGW might be the number of versions and environments of it that exist. For me MinGW is from mingw.org and does not require the use of MSYS or CYGWIN that is the build system does not have any kind of bash (or other Unix-like shell) installed.

Thanks for your reply anyway,

Darryl