I'm trying to use OpenSSL 1.0.1 Beta2 to create a SHA-2 digest for a
256-byte-long file and generate a signature using an RSA 2048-bit
private key.  Unfortunately it fails.  One of the examples on page
http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/pkeyutl.html#
<http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/pkeyutl.html>  says:

   Sign data using a message digest value (this is currently only valid
for RSA):

   openssl pkeyutl -sign -in file.bin -inkey key.pem -out sig -pkeyopt
digest:sha256

However, the result is:

>openssl pkeyutl -sign -in infile.bin -inkey privatekey.pem -out sig.bin
-pkeyopt digest:sha256

Public Key operation error

2388:error:0408E08F:rsa routines:PKEY_RSA_SIGN:invalid digest
length:.\crypto\rsa\rsa_pmeth.c:206:

Again, infile.bin is 256 bytes long.

(If I don't specify the digest, then of course I get a complaint about
the input data's being too long.)

Is the behavior broken, or have I overlooked something?

Thanks,

Paul

_____________________________
Paul A. Suhler | Firmware Engineer | Quantum Corporation | Office:
949.856.7748 | paul.suh...@quantum.com <mailto:paul.suh...@quantum.com>

Preserving the World's Most Important Data. Yours.(tm)

The information contained in this transmission may be confidential. Any
disclosure, copying, or further distribution of confidential information is not
permitted unless such privilege is explicitly granted in writing by Quantum.
Quantum reserves the right to have electronic communications, including email
and attachments, sent across its networks filtered through anti virus and spam
software programs and retain such messages in order to comply with applicable
data security and retention requirements. Quantum is not responsible for the
proper and complete transmission of the substance of this communication or for
any delay in its receipt.