On Wed, Feb 01, 2012, Roumen Petrov wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> mdc2 algorithm is not listed as enabled by default in 1.0+.
>
> What is current status to this algorithm ?
>
> It seems to me** result of openssl 0.9.8t digest  command (*openssl*
> *dgst -mdcs2..) *is not compatible with openssl 1.0+ .
>
> Another issue is between 0.9.8, 1.0.0 and upcoming 1.0.1 . If a
> certificate use mdcd2 algorithm created by openssl 0.9.8  it could
> be verified by 0.9.8 and 1.0.0+ but fail with 1.0.1(stable branch).
> Same if for certificates created by 1.0.0+ - verify command succeed
> with 0.9.8 and 1.0.0+ and fail with 1.0.1. Certificates created with
> 1.01 could be verified only with 1.0.1 and verification fail with
> earlier version.
>
> Issue with certificates apply to CRLs

Looking into this there is a long standing incompatibility between various
functions that use mdc2 for signatures. Since SSLeay the function RSA_sign()
using mdc2 as an argument uses a DigestInfo structure whereas using EVP ends
up with a different octet string format signature.

It's only when the signature code was revised to use RSA_sign more extensively
that this is more apparent.

How widespread is use of mdc2 for signatures and certificates?

I can address the 1.0.1 certificate issue fairly easily but I'm wondering if
some compatibility option is needed for dgst too.

Steve.