On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 19:36 +0100, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> > > Can you be more specific about "seems to not be compatible".
> >
> > if the versions were compatible, there should be no warning when running
> > apps
> > with openssl-1.0.1 that were built against openssl-1.0.0*.  but there is:
> >     OpenSSL version mismatch. Built against 1000005f, you have 1000100f
>
> What is producing that warning?

This is a problem of the applications (OpenSSH, postgresql,....) that do
not expect different versions of openssl to be ABI compatible. They
compare the version that they were compiled against to the version
reported by the library. They usually ignore only the patch level number
(abcde...). We had to patch the version number in the library to stay
constant. I suppose these applications should have the version check
removed as it is not guaranteed to work anyway as the ABI of openssl
depends also on the compiled-in ciphers and other compile time options.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb