> Talking about the bit-length of the public key data is not particularly
> helpful because it depends on whether it is in compressed format or not.

Sorry, but size of public key does not depends on size of it's
representation.
It can be compressed, Base64 encoded, etc., but it does not change size of
original data.

x509 command output was mentioned only for example.
The aim was is to understand, why OpenSSL (and not only) consider size of
something as twice as less of actual size, while displaying data itself on
next line of proper size.

Title for this data is 'Public key', not 'Size of private key, public key
in this certificate related to'.
What trows my programmer's ming into cognitive dissonance.

Is it bug, feature, or [yet] hidden convention?