On Nov 1, 2012, at 2:14 PM, Bojan Pisler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m doing interop testing with our DTLS server and OpenSSL. I’m using OpenSSL
> version “OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012” with the following command line.
>
> openssl s_client -msg -debug -connect 127.0.0.1:9683 -dtls1 -cert client.pem
> -certform PEM -key client.key -keyform PEM -CAfile root.crt –state
>
> Our server and OpenSSL handshake successfully when I run our server without
> client authentication turned on. In this test there are no fragmented
> handshake messages. The Finished signatures are calculated in the same way in
> both ends since the handshake is successful.
>
> But when I turn on client authentication the handshake fails. Both the
> CertificateVerify and Finished signatures are different which makes the
> handshake fail. I suspect that the reason for this is that OpenSSL sends its
> certificate to the server split into 3 fragments. The server reassembles the
> Certificate handshake message successfully. But it seems like the signatures
> are calculated differently.
>
> I have read this mailing list and tried several suggestions for handling
> fragmentation but with no success. Also both RFC 4347 and 6347 are unclear on
> how the signatures should be computed with regard to handshake fragmentation.
> So I would like to ask for a description of how this is done in OpenSSL so I
> can adapt our implementation and make it interoperable with OpenSSL?
If you think RFC 6347 is unclear how the computation should be done, please
send a message to t...@ietf.org
to discuss this. I think just doing something because OpenSSL does it, is not
the right way.
If the issue can be resolved on t...@ietf.org, the implementations can be fixed
if needed.

Best regards