On Thu Feb 14 14:24:18 2013, rs...@akamai.com wrote:
> We extract a tarball and make everything read-only. Sometimes an item
> in the distribution gets re-made. This can fail because of
> permissions. So, on platforms where this would happen, we'd like to
> remove the file first. I wasn't advocating to remove them from the
> distro, I understand we need to be kind to our crippled (cough
> vms:) brethren.
>
> Is this more clear?

Did you have any problems before OpenSSL 1.0.1d?

I think this is an artifact of how I generated the release tarballs with git:
this is only the second one I've done and I'm still tweaking it a bit to handle
some of the differences compared to cvs. I'll modify the process I'm using to
ensure the timestamps of the auto built files are reasonable before creating
the tarballs.

Steve.