Hey there,

Apparently supporting ipv6 literals like "[openssl s_client -connect '[2001:4f8:0:2::d]:443'" in s_client is oft-asked for but never-implemented, to the point where there are blog articles like this out there:

https://lwn.net/Articles/486369/, and most OSes that want to support this, are applying the patches themselves at all, if at all. It would be nice if there were a unified answer in the base distro.

This is an already-solved problem. There are minor patches, which are already submitted (years ago) and which don't affect any of the production libraries, since s_client is really only supposed to be used for testing, so by making this change, it's not like you're going to break firefox, apache, and openSSH.

Can anyone who actually has a commit-bit state why these haven't been added yet, privately to me if not on-list?. I asked (twice) on openssl-users and got zero response, so I'm trying here.

-Dan

--

"It's like GTA, except you pay for it, and you're allowed to use the car."

-Josh, on Zipcar on-demand car-rental, 3/20/05