openssl 1.0.1e's man 3 ecdsa is two times outdated and horribly misleading.
Since it was written the API changed and then EC_KEY was buried into the inner
headers of the library such that key->group (it should have been eckey->group,
I guess) can no longer be accessed directly like in the manual example. When I
searched openssl ecdsa on google I found stackoverflow answers only and it took
me a long time to put together the snippets of information and understand how
to use openssl ecdsa correctly, in spite of the manual example. Only after I
did that I started to google for specific functions in the API and I finally
found wiki.openssl.org, which is pretty good. Please substitute the man ecdsa
(and other unhappy manuals) in openssl 1.0.1e with a link to wiki.openssl.org
to make many openssl beginners happy.

Thank you.