Hello OpenSSL,

I'm wearing the hat of IETF HTTPbis Working Group Chair for the duration this
message.

We're currently developing HTTP/2.0:
  https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/
… and are starting to get initial implementations:
  https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/wiki/Implementations

We have a dependency upon the TLS Working Group's ALPN specification:
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-applayerprotoneg
… which has taken over for the previous NPN proposal:
  https://www.imperialviolet.org/2013/03/20/alpn.html

Until APLN is more widely available, deploying HTTP2 for HTTPS URIs will not be
possible, and developing it will be difficult.

A patch for OpenSSL has been submitted:
  http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=3073
… but doesn't appear to have been discussed much yet.

Could you give us any visibility into your intent for this patch? Note that if
you have concerns / reservations about ALPN, they're best directed to the TLS
Working Group.

Regards,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/