Thank you. That clarifies things.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Henson via RT [mailto:r...@openssl.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 3:51 PM
To: Andrew Felsher (afelsher)
Cc: openssl-dev@openssl.org
Subject: [openssl.org #3188] Bug Report Null bytes in SubjectAltName mishandled
in GENERAL_NAME_print()

On Tue Dec 03 21:35:13 2013, afels...@cisco.com wrote:
> However, I'm uncertain as to how appropriate is this use of
> GENERAL_NAME_print(). Is the intent of this function to be used for
> purposes like this, or is it intended more for human-readable output,
> or something else entirely?

The outputs of several functions, including X509_print, GENERAL_NAME_print etc
are primarily designed to produce human readable output. They are NOT
guaranteed to produce a completely unambiguous textual representation and
should NOT be machine parsed. Their output format MAY change in future.

Applications which want to (for example) parse extensions should use functions
such as X509_get_ext_d2i() and analyse the returned structures instead.

Steve.